20.3.05

"Gather 'round me, people; there's a story you should know"

All right. I am much too excited about taking down Pemberton, those scumbags, to focus on going to London Thursday.

SAY WHAT?!

Oh, good. You called my bluff on that one. I actually am unbelievably excited for this weekend and am trying my best to get AM2 written before I go. This is quite the task since I also have to throw some citations into my writing sample before I go and both draft and respond to some interrogatories unless Professor M. has sympathy on my wayfarin' soul. I'm doing a pretty good job of staying focused and bonding with Bryan's mini-iPod, which I'll have to turn over to its rightful owner this Friday night. I can't tell which prospect thrills me more: being in a new city in a hostel with all of the extras (privacy curtains on the bunk beds, 24-hour bar, and -- wait for it -- hair dryers) or hanging out with one of the Top Five again. I suspect it's the latter, if only because London's not cool enough to trust me with its brand new baby of silvery, musical goodness. I've really tried to reign it in, resisting the urge to load up Jay-Z and JTims. Here's what Bryan's getting so far, which is reflective more of his taste than mine:

Things I Know He Has But Am Including So He Can Tune Me Out on the Tube:
- Dispatch, Gut the Van (were it not for Dispatch, I would have had to move in by myself)
- Guster, Keep It Together (were it not for Guster, we would never have talked)
- The Gladiator soundtrack (which I love, so don't knock it)
- a little U2
- Damien Rice, O
- Better Than Ezra, Closer

Things I Will Bet My Left Circular, Three-Dimensional Object He Will Love:
- Old 97's, Fight Songs
- Wilco, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
- Eels, Daisy through Concrete
- Johnny Cash, Greatest Hits
- Jennifer Knapp, Lay It Down
- Nick Drake, Bryter Layter
- The Promise Ring, Wood/Water
- Push Kings, Feel No Fade

Official Reclamation of the Untapped Parts of His Musical Soul:
- Charles Mingus, Ah Um
- Midsummer Night's Dream (soundtrack with mendehlsson, et al. gorgeous. no caps.)
- Azure Ray, Hold On Love


A little Tori Amos, Regina Spekter, Nelly Furtado, Leonard Cohen, some White Stripes and Modest Mouse later, and he's got himself quite the deal. There is much catching up to do, a wax museum to be seen, some marbles to Elginize, a ferris wheel or two in the mix, a whole bunch of conversation to be had -- heck! There's an entire city to be dominated. I'm quite confident in the success of this venture, given Bryan's the only person I know who's gotten off a train and joined in a torch-bearing Viking procession just because, hey, who in their right mind says no to a Viking? And at least I know that, should my agoraphobia take vengeful hold at just the wrong moment, he will of all people be most sympathetic.*

And P.S. -- Mikey C., you are awesome. Thanks for forcing me out of my shell Friday. I owe you.



*"Oh, Aunt Sally...I'm sure you'll be fine on your trip to the big city. Be sure to pack your vitamins and the 2-way radios in your fanny pack." - B on my thinking it a good idea to ask for his train number and time of arrival. Yes, he is always this forthcoming.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maximilien said...

Well lookee here. Someone's back, whoda thunk? Enjoy the England.

22.3.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

charles mingus, i used to have that c.d.

7.4.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home