19.10.05

My So-Called Bank Account

I like to think that bankers, not automatons nee computers, take a look-see at student bank accounts every once in awhile. I like to think there's a whole team of young professionals somewhere meeting in a break room in Decatur and cheering on various students as the numbers whiz up and down the charts:

"Oooh -- $24.67 for a night at The Big Easy. Not your greatest move, Skip!"

"Ouch! Look at that gas bill!"

"Wait for it -- wait for it -- wait for it -- don't overdraw -- SCORE!! BABYSITTING MONEY! HUZZAH!"

"Look at this dip: again! Again he takes that girl from Econ 101 out to a restaurant the entire country of Ghana couldn't afford. $37 for a starter of foie gras?! Are you kidding me?! This kid doesn't even know how to say foie gras, let alone spend $37 on it."

"Hey, you guys...what's Bert's House o' Pleas...oh. Ew."

I must say I get a little kick out of finding ways to save money. Creamer and milk in my coffee? Right, the school cafeteria has some for free (never you mind that I'm actually paying a cool $45K to live here and go here). Barbecue chicken? Market Basket had a sale on chicken wattles (Derek, I'm sure I know that chickens don't have wattles, but whatever) for 25 cents a pound, and I found this great recipe on how to make barbecue sauce with the little ketchup packets you find in (the same school) cafeterias everywhere, water, and a little bit of paprika. Roy left paprika. Is there any meat on a hock? Hey, I might not be making my own wine -- but I know how to make some mean barbecue chicken.

Time to go scrounge up a dollar oh seven for a tea with Irene coupled with an intensive look at two overdue manuscripts. Isn't it strange how three-digit numbers, a team full of cheering bankers, and a healthy dose of perspective could leave a girl feeling grateful for where she is?

Minus the chicken wattles, of course. A thigh would be nice. I'd settle for a thigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so funny. i'm pullin forya peanut. and when you're rich and famous, rememba me, ok? On our vacation mom bought me some peanut butter and cheese ice cream, and she won't do it again because she says the bank people will laugh, but you'll but me some, won't you? Please? Snuggle snuggle slurp BURP lick sniff

Kype

23.10.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home