2.11.05

Captain v. Obvious

Law school textbooks are ridiculously expensive; in protest of that fact, I refused to pay full price for anything I could find outside of the bookstore. My books would have cost me around $800, had I not been such a heroine for the cause; as it stands, I spent about $250 by purchasing books on Half.com and from 3L friends. Of course these books come in imperfect shape; and while dealing with someone else's underlining, highlighting, and book briefing is not as big of a deal to me as saving $600 dollars, it can make for some entertaining--and sometimes frustrating-- reading. One can learn a lot about a person through what they doodle in their books, the notes they leave to themselves, the Supreme Court justices they deface. Mostly what you learn from paging through these things, though, is that being in law school doesn't make you de facto intelligent. (Well, duh!)

My Evidence textbook is classic. I am its third or fourth owner, which puts some extra degrees of separation between me and the very lovely person who owned it first. It's clearly seen better days: the original owner was a fan of random highlighting, writing down wrong answers in the text, and arguing with the author in truly unhelpful ways, such as the following: "What?" "This doesn't make sense!!!" (Which, true.) My favorite comment, though, was the one I found last night while going back over hearsay. Next to an excerpt from a newspaper article about a pet wolf that had allegedly bitten a small boy, this person wrote the following:

"Wolf = NOT A HUMAN."

2 Comments:

Blogger peterc said...

waitaminute...wolves arent human?

im so lame...

2.11.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5.11.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home